White Jackman is committed to providing high quality legal services and the highest standards of client care. Dealing effectively with any concerns is part of that service and also helps us to continuously improve our standards. Raising a complaint will not affect the level of services and standards we are committed to provide.

How do I complain?

If you are unhappy about any aspect of the service you have received, please raise it in the first instance with the lawyer dealing with the matter. He or she will have been named in the client care letter sent to you at the outset of the work.

If you are not satisfied with the response of the person dealing with the matter, or if you do not feel able to discuss it with him or her, you should contact another director of the firm setting out the full details of your concerns, or the issues you wish to raise. The contact details of our directors can be found on our website.


We will acknowledge your complaint and investigate it. We will aim to complete this investigation within eight weeks or, if this is not practicable, we will agree an alternative date with you. Our investigation will include a review of your file and may include a meeting with you to discuss your concerns. A written response to your complaint will be provided, which will detail the outcome of our investigation.

Making a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman

If you are not happy with the way we handle your concerns then you may contact the Legal Ombudsman at Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ or telephone 0300 555 0333 or www.legalombudsman.org.uk.

Any complaint to the Legal Ombudsman must usually be made within six months of the end of our final written response to your complaint and within six years of the date of the alleged act or omission about which you are complaining, or within three years of you becoming aware of it. Please contact the Legal Ombudsman for more information on the time scales for making a complaint.

The service offered by the Legal Ombudsman is free of charge and they will look at your complaint independently. The Legal Ombudsman will usually require that a firm’s complaints procedure has been exhausted before it will consider a complaint. If they are satisfied that a firm’s proposals for resolving a complaint are reasonable, they may decline to investigate further.

Making a complaint about professional conduct

If your complaint relates to concerns about professional conduct and you are not happy with the outcome of our complaints procedure, you can report conduct concerns to the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). The SRA can help you, or take action, if a solicitor, a regulated firm or a member of its staff has breached the SRA Principles. You can report concerns about professional conduct to the SRA, information about how to do this is on its website at www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor.